You must be familiar with the rich, blood-red vegetable but probably may not have liked it. But it’s good to know that it’s very health-friendly and has been known for its medicinal properties since time immemorial and hence has been used to cure a variety of ailments ranging from fever to wounds and skin problems. Also, beetroots used to be long and thin like carrots. The short and round beetroots that we are familiar with were not cultivated until the sixteenth century. Now let’s examine the possible benefits of including this interesting vegetable in our diet.
Betacyanin, the pigment that gives the vegetable its color is a powerful antioxidant and hence protects the artery walls and reduces the risks of heart disease and strokes by lowering the oxidation of ‘bad cholesterol’.
Also betacyanin slows the ageing process and helps you look young.
Rich in carbohydrates beetroots can act as an energy storehouse and can provide instantaneous energy.
Beetroots replenish skin and hair making them look beautiful as they contain all the vitamins and minerals necessary for the skin and hair.
Beetroots contain Folic acid which plays a crucial role in the formation and maintenance of new cells. Eating beetroot during the first three months of pregnancy helps avoid spine defects as its folic acid is crucial for the formation of the fetus’ nervous system.
Its silicon content stimulates the body to use calcium, an important ingredient in the musculo-skeletal system, thus preventing osteoporosis.
The rich iron content in it helps fight anemia and fatigue.
Beetroots are known to prevent cancer, particularly cancer in the colon.
The presence of nitrates in the vegetable helps fight the progression of the degenerative diseases that dementia and Alzheimer’s are by increasing the blood flow to the brain.
Beetroots contain betaine that relaxes the mind hence can be used to treat depression and other mental ailments.
Beetroots are available round the year, are quite inexpensive and prove to be a great blessing to health.
- Healthier and Tastier Beetroot-Dishes (beetsliders.wordpress.com)
- Grilled Vegetables Chutney Walnut Burger- Cedele at Raffles City Shopping Centre (mrandmrsvegan.wordpress.com)
- FindaHomeLoan.sg Develops First Ever Singapore “What-If” Home Loan Calculator That Adjusts To Fluctuating Interest Rates (prweb.com)
- With law against him, Singapore pol says he’s gay (sfgate.com)
- From Singapore, personalized fragrances help dementia sufferers to remember (springwise.com)
- Singapore Starts Cleaning Up Oil Spill After Two Ships Collide (thejakartaglobe.com)
- Fitness – Personal Trainer Singapore (Ezfit.sg)